Monday, July 15, 2013

HP vs PJ

Been reading the Percy Jackson series on and off the past couple of months. It's my quick read on the phone while waiting in lines. It's quite interesting and to be honest, it's teaching me more mythology than school ever did. Wish my generation had this book growing up. I probably would have been less intimidated by gods and goddesses and all the strange monsters and mythical creatures.

Photo from: http://www.charming.aislin.net/crossover/percyharrybanner400x222.png

One thing I can't help but do, even though I know I shouldn't, is to compare Percy Jackson to Harry Potter. I'm not going to say Rick Riordan copied J.K. Rowling. I'm just saying that they're both great stories with some similar elements. Probably the secret formula to a compelling children's series.lol


Harry Potter Percy Jackson
  • didn't know he was from a magical family until he was 11
  • didn't know he was from a magical family until he was 12
  • muggles
  • mortals
  • Hogwarts
  • Camp Half-Blood
  • Hogwarts Houses - 4 founders of Hogwarts
  • Camp Half-Blood Houses - 12 Olympian gods
  • prophecy - can be either Harry or Neville
  • prophecy - can be either Percy or Thalia
  • can talk to snakes
  • can talk to horses and sea creatures
  • Ron and Hermione
  • Grover and Annabeth
  • has to go home for summer
  • has to go home during the school year
  • Voldemort trying to get back to life
  • Kronos trying to get back to life
  • invisibility cloak
  • Annabeth's invisibility hat
  • scary dreams that are not actually dreams but real events
  • scary dreams that are not actually dreams but real events 
There are probably a lot more that I missed, but it's pretty amazing how they're both so similar yet so different.

The verdict? I think both books are great, but I still like the Harry Potter world better.

No comments:

Post a Comment